Tuesday, May 28, 2013

There Is Nothing "Happy" About Memorial Day!

It's been a very busy weekend. I have a lot to catch up on here on the blog and I'll have more time tomorrow I hope to get more posts updated with pictures. In this post though, I want to talk about something else. Something that really has been bugging me lately. Maybe I'm getting more and more American? I don't know. Maybe because I'm married to a Marine and am used to the military lifestyle?

Anyway, living in the United States of America, American or not, one should know better I think.

I have read so many times on Facebook, on blogs or heard people say lately - Happy Memorial Weekend! It's so wrong!!! Not just wrong to me but also pretty upsetting. There is nothing "Happy" about this day! It's not the "First Day Of Summer" or "National BBQ Day" or "Big Sales Weekend". It's not about getting together and celebrate and get drunk. Celebrate what????

We say "Happy 4th of July", "Happy Valentine's Day", "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Happy Holidays" for a reason - they are all celebrations. A reason to be happy. A reason to greet and to wish someone a Happy....*whatever it now is that is celebrated*

But tell me, what is Happy and what is there to celebrate about honoring people killed in war? It's so frustrating to me that this is a common phrase.

It's also frustrating when people start to give thanks to all veterans and all servicemen in the military. Hello! That's awfully nice of you all, and our service men surly deserve a "Thank You" every day of the year, but there is a date already set aside for this - Veteran's Day!


Today is Memorial Day. 

A day to remember family and friends that has given their ultimate sacrifice for their Country, but will never again be home for dinner or be there to kiss their children Good Night.

A day to be thankful to those we didn't know, but yet have given us so much. 

A day to show respect, and while - celebrating a 3-4 day weekend with family and friends with a beer in the hand laughing together around the BBQ- understand that many people in this Country will have people missing around their BBQ's.

Daddy's and husbands will never again stand behind that grill. Mother's and wives will never again bake that special cake for dessert. Brothers and sisters and best friends that never will see your children grow up. So many years, so many moments stolen from them.

I don't think you have to be married to a man in the military to feel the pain. I think it's something that we all can relate to - we all have someone that we care about and it's not hard to put yourself in the situation - what if? Only there is one difference, if you are married to a man in the service - these thoughts of "what if" hits closer to home...

Pete Marovich / EPA
Brittany Jacobs of Hereford, N.C., hugs her 17-month old son Christian at her husband, Marine SGT Christopher Jacobs' gravesite in Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day at in Arlington, Va.

 © Jemal Countess/Redux 
A  mourner, believed to be Air Force Reserve Captain Teresa Dutcher, lies at the grave of Corporal Michael Avery Pursel at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.

Richard Vogel, AP
 Christina Kaye from Valencia, Calif., weeps over the grave of her two brothers, Mark and Matthew, who died while in military service, during Memorial Day commemoration at the Los Angeles National Cemetery.  


Molly Riley, AP
 Brittany Jacobs kisses son Chris near the grave site of her husband, Christopher Jacobs, at Section 60 on Memorial Day at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., on May 27. Veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are buried in Section 60. 


No comments:

Post a Comment