Friday, August 26, 2011

Linda

Linda

Tomorrow is a very special day. August 26th is not just our Anniversary, more about that tomorrow, but it's also my very best friend Linda's birthday! As I don't know if she'll have time to look in here tomorrow, I write this today instead - Happy Happy Birthday Sweetie!! 

I met Linda in Bern 1992 around Christmas time at a party we all went to. We didn't get close right away, she had her click of friends, and I had mine, but after summer 1993 when most of our friends had left, we were both still there, and ran in to each other again and since then stuck together like glue.

Linda went back to Sweden and I stayed in Switzerland, a lot longer than I would have thought, but we always stayed in touch, even if it back then wasn't over Facebook or even over emails, back then in the 90's it was the "real" letters by mail. Every time I went back to Sweden, I went to see her in her hometown, and after a while, it was a natural stop to fly into either Vasteras or Stockholm to start my vacation in Sweden. So many times she opened up her home for me to stay.

When I moved back to Sweden in 2004, after 12 years abroad, it wasn't to my hometown, it was to her hometown! My family was spread out and as it wasn't many job opportunities there, there were no friends of mine left in town, almost everyone had left or moved away after school. Linda helped me so much during this time, helped me with contacts for work, helped me with contacts and getting my apartment! Was a great deal living just around the corner from each other at the very first time and it was wonderful how she and Roger, her parents and her in laws "took me and Cassie in" and included us in so many things. They were/are all wonderful people!

We share so so many memories, and there is nothing she doesn't know about me. She has been there "through thick and thin and through good times and bad times".

During this time when things were quite hard for me getting back on my feet with my 2 1/2 year old daughter, she was there. She encouraged me when I was missing Chris who was deployed to Iraq at the time, and later back in California. She was there to share my joy and excitement when we finally got to see each other again after way to many years and also during all the preparations for the wedding. As Chris was back in the states and I was in Sweden, we couldn't as easily share ideas and he couldn't be there for all the wedding planning and he didn't have to endure me as "Bridezilla" - Linda did....

I will be forever thankful to her for all her help before and especially on our wedding day. She was of course my Maid of Honor, and took that responsibility more than serious. She organized my surprise "Bachelorette party" and on the wedding day, she stepped in and took the roll of the toastmaster together with Per, the Best man, reading speeches, cards and telegrams.

She had written a speech that still brings tears to my eyes, and also took care of all the little things to make sure everything ran smoothly. It was wonderful to have her there and I couldn't thank her enough for that. She did an outstanding job!

Together before the wedding getting ready at the hairdresser.

 Her little birthday cake that I got her. 

So that she still was able to celebrate her birthday a little bit even if she was busy on our wedding day.

Having her being involved so much in my wedding, it did hurt a little bit not being able to do the same for her. She and her husband had a smaller ceremony with just the closest family, and she didn't even tell me about it before! My spontaneous reaction was when I found out, crying - How could you?? :D Of course I respect her/their decision, but I selfishly hoped to be able to be there for her on her wedding day when that day came around...

Even if I left Sweden and moved to the US, we have stayed in close contact. Today's technology makes it a little bit easier than back then..We have also made sure that we have visited each other and she has also made a trip to come and see us in North Carolina with her whole family, for a wonderful week at Hilton Head, SC. I think that we've seen each other every year since we met in 1992 - except this year.....!

I haven't been back to Sweden the last two years, and last year when the twins were just about a month old, Linda came over to visit. She had her oldest son with her, who is the same age as Cassie, and the rest of the family stayed at home. It was wonderful to see her, and even if I then was so busy with the twins and we didn't really get to do much, it was great to have her here and to share my joy.

 Visit in June 2010

Being my best friend, she was of course one of the first that I shared the pregnancy news with and every doctors check up, tests and the hard times during the pregnancy, she was there to help me through it and focus when I felt bad and miserable. I feel sad that now so much is happening in our lives and we don't get to see each other and share our everyday life. Not being able to sit down together and have a chat, share our worries and thoughts about the future together.

Her boys are growing up and I don't know them as I used to. Her youngest, I have only met when he was about 6 months, so he doesn't even know who I am...as my twins wouldn't know her. That is sad, and hopefully it won't take as long until we can meet again, maybe maybe that we can go to Sweden next summer. She and her family will always be welcome in our home too, they're not just friends - they are family!

I wish that I could be there with you tomorrow, not just because it's your birthday, but also because you will be going through one of the worst days in your life tomorrow. It's so hard not being able to be there and support you, but know that I'm with you in spirit and I'm thinking of you and crossing my fingers until they turn blue!

I miss you so much and I wish you all the best in the world! I wish you happiness and love and know that I'm here for you - always!





(Sorry, I didn't find a good picture of just you, so I copied the one from your Facebook...hope you don't mind!)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you sweetheart! I managed to get through the whole post, well, until the last paragraf anyway...

    Having your support makes things easier and I know you are there for me! I will call in the weekend to let you know how it all went even if the result will not be out there tomorrow. That we will have to wait for.

    Albin will make Tacos in the evening, and says that he's making me a special gift by tomorrow. Emil I don't know if he has done anything, but a hug will do just fine. The same with Victor...

    Love you always "sis"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vad härligt med så fin vänskap! Kramar, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria-
    ja det ar harligt med akta sann vanskap. Jag ar lyckligt lottad som har nagra fa fina vanner, som jag vet finns dar for mig i vatt och torrt, aven om jag inte kan traffa dom ofta, ibland flera ar emellan, men anda sa ar vanskapen stark. Men man saknar ju den vardagliga vanskapen ocksa....:)
    Kramar

    ReplyDelete